Rangpur Division was formed on 25 January 2010, as Bangladesh's 7th division. Before that, it had been the northern eight districts of the Rajshahi Division. The Rangpur division consists of eight districts. There are 58 Upazilas or subdistricts under these eight districts. Rangpur is the northernmost division of Bangladesh and has a population of 15,665,000 at the 2011 Census.
The major cities of this new division are Rangpur, Saidpur and Dinajpur. Rangpur has well-known educational institutions, such as Carmichael College, Hajee Mohammad Danesh Science and Technology University, Rangpur Medical College, Rangpur Cadet College, Begum Rokeya University and Bangladesh Army University of Science & Technology, Saidpur.
The most ornate among late medieval Hindu temples of Bangladesh is situated near Dinajpur town. It was built by Maharaja Pran Nath in 1752 A.D. Every inch of the temple surface is beautifully embellished with exquisite terracotta plaques, representing flora, fauna, geometric motifs, mythological scenes and an astonishing array of Contemporary social scenes and favorite pastime. The Maharaja's palace with relics of the past centuries and local museum are worth a visit.